Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Spotlight: Brian Crook


The fourth installment in our series to help you get to know our team members is with Brian Crook. Team members were asked to share what they are most excited about as well as what they are most nervous about:

NATIVITY:NIGERIA groupies! I'm Brian Crook, native Baltimoron, 25 years old, and currently employed by Church of the Nativity as Missions Director. I've grown up at Nativity and seen a lot of amazing things through the years - one of which was to see my friends travel to Nigeria four years ago and meet Dr. Chris and Sister Oresoa.

I am thrilled now to have an opportunity to serve there myself. Meeting Sister Oresoa, the boys at Anawim, and seeing the newly repaired well at the orphanage top the list of things I'm excited to see. I've also really enjoyed getting to know my teammates over the past few months, and I'm genuinely excited to see how we learn and grow together on the trip.

The team and past participants have done a great job at preparing us all, but still, there are some things that make me nervous. The long flights won't be my favorite, nor will the early mornings (especially without Starbucks). I also know that I need some time alone to decompress - I'm hoping there will be some chances to do this in Abuja. All in all, just letter go of the idea that, as is the case at home, I can't just get in car and do whatever I want will be challenging. I'll have to be flexible, humble, and courteous (a real task for me!).

M own life has led me through a number of twists and turns. I've been praying that this experience can provide a sort of jumping off point for me, one where I can allow myself to be open and vulnerable to God's voice and then follow up on it with action. Thanks again for all of your support - I can't wait to share it all with you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Brian, no starbucks in Nigeria. How are you doing with good old Nescafe instant coffee?

Happy to learn that you are all adjusting and adapting to life in Nigeria.

Thanks for all you are doing. We are all praying for you.

See you back home soon.


Margaret.