Saturday, January 1, 2011

Brian Crook


I am so excited to be going back to Nigeria this August, especially to visit the Faith Alive Hospital for the first time. I've been diving into my new position as Director of Missions at Nativity for the past year, and am so fortunate to stand on the framework built by Bob Barczak and all the past Nativity:Nigeria missionaries. I have the honor of leading the Faith Alive team this year -- I'm definitely looking forward all the people we'll meet in Jos and also getting to see my team members experience Nigeria for the first time.

I'm 26 years old, went to Furman University in SC, live in Towson, and have one older sibling, my sister Elizabeth -- who's pregnant with my first niece Emma! I have been on staff at Nativity for the past three years and grew up in the church way back when Tom was the "Youth Minister." I've played tennis all my life, but I've been rekindling my love for soccer this past year playing in a couple leagues.

In some ways I have always felt called to Mission work. And I've always had this sort of an affinity for Africa, something that must have come from movies and books. When my faith was beginning to grow as a teenager, I was involved in service all the time -- it was always just a part of my relationship with God. If you read the words of Jesus in the New Testament, he talks a lot about serving the poor and vulnerable, in fact when he began his ministry he announced that's exactly what he had come to do (Luke 4:18-19). So although serving and sharing life with our partners in Africa can be challenging, it is something I feel called to do.