Thursday, July 2, 2009

Lots of Children and Green Turtles


We had a great time at church last week! I wanted to share my VBS experience - Crocodile Dock with all of you. All of the children (hundreds) who participated, really did ROCK at the Dock! There was so much excitement, singing and dancing.



I want to tell you about the turtles that were made that we are taking to Africa for the children there. Sue Zawodny and I were station leaders for crafts. I want you to know how lovely the children were. They were told they were making comfy critters and were given fluffy green turtles to stuff. We wanted them to know that God cares. It was explained how the children in Africa, where we are going, have very little - not only toys, but food, clothes, electricity and even clean water. There was a pocket on each turtle for the children to put their own special message/note. For those too young to write, we asked them to put in signs or symbols of love. I saw a lot of hearts, sunshine, flowers and crosses. We explained how the children in Africa could hold the turtles and be reminded that someone cares - that God cares about them.



When the children prayed, they closed their eyes tight and their little faces were squeezed up to God! It is so awesome to be reminded of children's innocence. They do want to know about God. They have so much love to give! I'm so happy the NN team will be taking the turtles to the children in Africa. The whole week was wonderful and I am grateful that I was able to be a part of it.



I joined the Children's Ministry (I am a Time Travelers Crowd Minister) right after returning from Nigeria last August. I was so moved by the children in Africa and I just thought - children - I want to help in this ministry. It has brought many special blessings, joy and new friends into my life. I will be taking the wonderful experience of this ministry with me when I return to Nigeria this August. We can make a difference. Our church can make a difference in the children's lives there.

Sara Groves is a young woman who is a contemporary Christian music artist. Her music tells the spiritual journey of her life. She is now involved in helping the children in Africa. I can remember a story she told at a local performance that I attended about four years ago. She was touched by the life of her Aunt Esther,who was unable to have any biological children. Here's the story:

Esther
by Sara Groves

I have a picture of Esther and David
She is a young bride and he is a soldier
They didn't know then that David was dying
They couldn't have children
Alone with a life time, Africa called
She went for the first time, it grew in her heart
All of the children, so many children

Now Esther has 2.4 million children
She writes us and asks us to pray for them all

She's compelled, she's compelled by what she's seen
And she tells us, she tells us do anything you can
To help, oh please help, there's so much to do
And I'm just Esther

She visits her homeland, she fights with her words
She comes to the courts of the kings of the earth
Who don't understand their inherited power
To answer her question



Please remember how much we have to be thankful while celebrating this weekend.

Teresa Pompa

No comments: