Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Here's My Life



A memory came back very strong today about last year's trip because of our church's courage discussion. The first week, a few of us who went to Jos got sick ("traveler's stomach"). It's no big deal. It lasts no more than 24 hours! Not to scare anybody, but this came back to me.

Midway in the first week we were there, me and Molly (another member of our team) started to get sick. Dr. Chris was so nice to take us back to our own guesthouse, so we could rest. Dr. Blattner prescribes a medicine for us before the trip, that treats this problem.

The next day Molly felt better to leave in the morning for Faith Alive. I felt worse! Jason said I should stay and rest more (we had our own private bathrooms at our guesthouse) :-) Sorry. Anyway, he left me his cell phone in case of an emergency. It's strange about my trip to Africa - just how I wasn't afraid and just concentrated on being there while I there. It's like Tom said from the book. I had tunnel vision. My husband is always kidding me about this "Why can't you do this? You went to Africa!"

This one day was different. This day turned out to be surreal. Here I was alone in another country, feeling very sick. It is temperate weather in August, in Jos, so the windows were open. It was strange to hear the different sounds of the country like roosters, goats and some actually strange sounds. A light breeze was blowing through the windows. The beds were actually comfortable and we had nice blankets. I slept most of the day. When I woke up, I had this intense homesick feeling. I never had felt so alone before in my life. I had a strong feeling come over me.

I got right down on my knees and began to intensely pray. I felt like I got re-baptized. In Acts I, Jesus told his disciples "Do not leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you the gift he promised, as I told you before, John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit...The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit come upon you."
Acts 1:4-5, 7-8

I listened to this song today on a CD I had not played in a while. It is by Barlow Girls. The words say it better than I can on how I felt when I was afraid, but I surrendered it. Of course, I felt much better the next day. Everyone was so caring, repeatedly asking "Are you well today?" I went back to serving, which is why we were there. Here's the song:

Here's My Life

Once again I said my goodbyes
To those I love the most
My heart feels that familiar pain
As I long for home
Because this road is hard
When I feel so far

So God I'm crying out tonight
Because I've given you my life
But I'm tired and I'm missing what's behind
So once more Here's My Life

On the day you called my name
All that I knew changed
I found witness that yes
I'd never be the same
Though the call is hard
You are worth it all

Even when the tears are falling
When I find out fears are calling
You remind me of the
Words you've spoken over me
Promises I've yet to see
But I know you've come for me
You've come for me.

Teresa Pompa

No comments: