Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas Nigeria


Tonight is Christmas Eve - the celebration of the birth of Our Lord. Last weekend, despite the blizzard, some of our parish still made it to church and brought in their Advent Conspiracy boxes. There were some creative ideas and boxes!

I have loved our Advent Conspiracy series. I really slowed down this Advent and tried to keep focusing on what Advent is really about. I only spent one day in the shopping mall. It was crazy crowded. Merchandise was strewn around the stores in disarray. It made me feel sad.

I pray that many parishioners decided to spend less on material things and give more relationally. Hopefully they donated the savings to our Advent Conspiracy program to bring clean water to Abuja and Jos. Our family is giving relational gifts to our parents. They have been saying for years to please stop giving them gifts. We are so blessed to have all that we have. It only takes a little from each one of us working together to provide clean water to the wonderful people of Abuja and Jos.

The two trips I have taken over the past two summers to Faith Alive in Jos has changed my life. My faith was deepened. My perspective on material wealth has changed and my heart grew bigger. I will forever be grateful to our church for allowing me to go, but most of all for the people in Jos. Even though they suffer and are very poor, they gave me their love and happily shared all they had with me and the rest of my team.

Tonight we celebrate God giving the gift of His Son to us - the greatest gift of all. May everyone here and in Nigeria accept this great gift and experience peace and joy this Christmas.

"The angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For today in the city of David, a Savior has been born for you who is Christ and Lord'."

Luke 2:10-11


Teresa Pompa

No comments: