Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holiday Shopping Intervention


A holiday story from Pam Mercer, a Home Team member:


Missionaries from Anawim Home returned with tracings of feet and waist measurements for the boys of the St. John Bosco hostel. The goal was to send back a new outfit for each of the boys to wear to mass on Christmas Day, a true treat for them as they don’t get new clothes very often at the orphanage.

After estimating sizes, I headed off on my shopping excursion in search of warm weather clothing for the boys. As it was already late November, finding a selection of shorts ranging in sizes 8-18 seemed like a difficult task. I searched sale racks, clearance items and full price clothing without much luck. Everything was so picked over and choices were few.

While moving throughout the store I noticed shoppers carrying lots of items, most of it merchandized just for the Black Friday shoppers. Shopping for orphans in Nigeria and watching people toss “stuff” in their carts really emphasized for me how commercialized Christmas has become. I felt enlightened and filled with the spirit of Advent Conspiracy, but still had nothing in my cart.

I finally came upon a clearance rack filled with short-sleeved white polo shirts and enough in all of the sizes we needed. Still no shorts, but I was feeling better and decided to take the shirts and head off to another store.

I struck up a conversation with the gentleman who checked me out. He was from Lagos, Nigeria and blessed all of us over and over. He told me that Nigerians don’t worry about the weather and what they wear like we do here. He said pants would be fine instead of shorts, so off I went with a happy heart and tears in my eyes believing that I got in this man’s line for a reason—a divine reason.

Now my job was easy! I picked up 8 pairs of khaki pants, wrapped up the outfits for the boys and boxed them up for their journey to Abuja. When volunteering for this little task of shopping for boys a world away, I had no idea of the spiritual impact it would have on me in my own world.

No comments: