Monday, February 15, 2010

Lillies


A refection on our current blizzard by Dr. Gin Gin Diokno:

Sore doesn’t even begin to describe it!
After shoveling 2 plus feet of snow last weekend, I had to dig out another foot today. Good thing that I have very nice neighbors who helped me with the hardest part which was the heavy wet slush. Whew! This storm has kept us indoors but I find myself with so many things to do. I haven’t gotten the cabin fever bug yet. Here are some things I did: I cooked better-than-diner made-from-scratch blueberry pancakes; the secret is to separate the eggs, beat the whites then incorporate into the batter. They’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Last Saturday, I had chili on the stove top and since it was simmering untouched while I was busy digging out, it was one of the best batches I’ve made. I had enough for my superbowl dinner. Taking pictures of the white stuff and sending them to my Jersey Family who usually gets more than we do. They were quite impressed. I also sent them to my godson in North Carolina who was wondering why they don’t get any. Getting some more reading done. But the one thing I really want to share is this movie I caught “On Demand” for free. While I’m doing my hand quilting, I chose this 1963 Sidney Poiter film for which he won an Oscar, becoming the first black man to receive the best actor nod. It’s about an itinerant handyman in the Southwest who gets a new outlook on life when he helps a group of German nuns build a chapel. It’s a very simple low-budget movie but has a lot of heart. It was touching how the whole community chipped in. It reminds me of what our church is doing at the Crowne Plaza. Knowing what the Nativity community can accomplish, I have no doubt that the endeavor will get a lot of support from our parishoners. If you have time, try to see this old movie with a message that resonates to this day. It’s called Lilies of the Field. Tomorrow, I might have to start on my taxes...

No comments: