Monday, March 29, 2010

Reason to Return







A reflection from Dr. Gin Gin on returning to Nigeria:


We have heard a lot of inspiring stories of how God is at work at Faith Alive and Anawim. I also believe God is in the details. He is present in the hands that prepare the food, in the handicrafts they make, in the produce that they harvest, or in the countryside where it is just beautiful. So on a lighter note, I thought this might help convince some who are still having second thoughts of joining this trip in the future…..



10 good reasons to return to Nigeria…



10. Fabric shopping

Endless bolts of colors which are a feast to the eye. I am a quilter, and you can never have enough fabrics to sew, including scraps. I hope I have enough to work with and maybe send the finished projects on the next trip. I’m sure it will be of use for the kids to cuddle under during those cool summer nights. Otherwise, you can have sundresses made in gorgeous patterns for you and your loved ones and help the sewing school students.



9. Rain

I miss the pitter-patter sound of the rain on the tin rooftops. The looming dark clouds warn you what’s to come. After it passes, the gleaming sun and clear skies gradually peek through. There’s nothing like the smell of the after-rain, like freshly cut grass. Mmmm, it feels good to be in the tropics.



8. The drive to the countryside

Breathtaking views of the rocky formations. Fields of corn and 15-ft cacti. Mud wall huts. Market scenes. Street vendors running to the side of the van to sell their stuff. Motorcycles with 2 adults and a child sandwiched in between. Ladies with heavy pots or basins of produce balanced on their heads. Infants tucked on their mother’s back with a cloth wrap. Families washing their clothes in the stream. Traffic worse than Manhattan’s. The smell of diesel. Cows packed and double-stacked in a 10-wheeler. It’s a different world worth seeing.



7. A sea of children

They chant “oyboe”, a term of endearment for “white skinned person or foreigner”. They are not shy and will come up to you to get their pictures taken or to get “snapped.” They even get more excited when they actually see the picture. They open their arms for you to pick them up. They swarm you like bees and touch your arms, wondering how your hair and skin feel like. They hold your hands while you stroll down their village like they’re your tour guides. And they smile and laugh without a care in the world.



6. Street foods especially the mystery barbecue meat

The scene is out of Anthony Bourdain’s show on Travel Channel. I would have to get one of the Faith Alive staff, probably Bubba the cook, to show me which one to try first. I have eaten some weird dishes, more than you would want to know, so I think I can stomach it and maybe with the help of Cipro. Hey, it probably tastes like chicken!



5. Seeing Dr. Chris and Sister Oresoa dance, again

Well, I can always rewind my video recording, but it’s not as fun as seeing it live, coz’ they got the moves! If you don’t dance, trust me, they will make you get up and swing it!



4. Nigerian mangoes

Rumor has it that it’s very sweet and tasty. I seriously doubt it especially if you’ve tried the Philippine variety, but I’m willing to give my Nigerian friends the benefit of the doubt. However, you have to come back sometime in May or June when it is in season.



3. The Music

My hair stood up the first time I was in discipleship class in a very small room filled by the voices of the “sewing ladies” singing so beautifully. It was infectious listening to the Anawim sisters’ drumbeats. Even if you’re rhythmically challenged, you will catch yourself clapping to a 5-beat note, bending your knees to get down to the tune of “Bend low, bend low, bend low, see what the Lord can do,” singing and swaying to Hausa words you don’t even understand, and joining in songs praising the Lord! Music IS universal.



2. Enjoying an African sunset (with a bottled Coke in hand)

Dinner was usually served at 6pm so we were indoors by the time the African sun was setting. There were a few close calls. One was on our day of arrival as we were traveling to Jos. If I remember right, it was cloudy and rainy; nonetheless, I slept through most of the ride. The other one was when we traveled to Kafanchan. I saw the beginnings of it but the roof of the hotel blocked my view, then it was dinner time. Later that night, I got to see a star lit sky. On the day of departure, we were already inside the airport so I missed my last chance. If I caught it, I would have taken a postcard picture which would make a neat Mac screensaver to remind me daily why I want to go back.



And drumroll……



1. The hospitality

What more can I say? They treat you like family…



On a more serious note, if it’s your true calling, heed it. And trust God to take care of the rest.



I am most grateful I did.

No comments: