Saturday, January 1, 2011

Kathi Rogers


I have been attending Nativity for about eight years. I am married to Dennis Lahey and have two children; Chase who just celebrated his one-year wedding anniversary with his lovely wife Susan, and Rian who plays drums in a successful band. Dennis and I have been “empty nesters” for about five years after thoroughly enjoying raising Chase and Rian. It is a major joy in my life to watch as they successfully and joyfully chart their own course as adults. My husband and I are enjoying a new chapter in our lives and thankfully find it enriching and fulfilling.

I have been working with families experiencing separation and divorce for the past twenty years in a variety of roles. I am a mediator, evaluator and therapist working specifically with this population. I have taught school in the past and always enjoyed working with children.

For many years I have watched as Nativity prepared for their Nigeria trip each summer. Every year I felt a strong desire to participate however never followed through with the application process thinking that other activities in my life took precedence over a mission trip. This year I decided to make it a priority, completed the application process and here I am.

I feel fortunate to be able to make this trip to Nigeria. The opportunity to be able to experience another culture, interact with people whose lives are so different than mine, and assist them in any way that may be helpful, is a gift. It provides the chance to “give back” in a small way, given all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me. I am willing and excited to participate in any way that may be useful at the Anawim Home. Whether that will be by utilizing my clinical skills, engaging in physical labor, assisting with education, or comforting a child, it will be done with integrity and kindness. If one person is affected in a positive way by my decision to go to Nigeria, I will be thrilled. However, whatever help or assistance I think I may bring to the people I meet while in Nigeria, I have a deep sense that I will be the one who will be the recipient of much more grace than I could ever hope to give by this experience.